The most successful people, no matter the industry, have separated themselves from their competitors in a big way. The uber-successful leaders in your industry don’t follow the norm. They don’t accept the status quo. They swim upstream and consistently go against the grain. They are always inventing new and better ways to reach and serve their clients.
You should NEVER stop doing the tips below if you want to be a leader in your industry and be incredibility successful.
If you want to really be successful, then:
- NEVER Stop Learning – Strive to learn new things every day. You can accomplish this by reading books, journals, or blogs. Attend industry trade shows and educational seminars. You can also learn a wealth of information from talking with other people who are leaders in your industry.
- NEVER Stop Innovating – You may have been doing your job the same way for years or even decades, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t a more effective way to do it. Find better ways to be more productive. Offer new services. Continually update your product lines to better fit your client base.
- NEVER Stop Meeting People – We live in a social media driven world, but that doesn’t take the place of real, face-to-face relationships. This includes clients and industry peers. Meet as many people as possible and get to know them. It’s good to know people.
- NEVER Stop Teaching – Whether you are new in your industry or a seasoned veteran, you have valuable information to share. Many industries, including the promotional products industry, are full of mentors who are willing to share their knowledge to help you avoid making the same mistakes. This sharing of information is what helps to improve your industry as a whole.
- NEVER Stop Failing – No one is successful 100% of the time. Everyone will have failures along the way. Learn from these failures, improve on them, and make your next effort a success. If you aren’t failing, then you aren’t trying hard enough.
- NEVER Stop Socializing – Social media has connected the world in ways none of us could have ever imagined. Now customers are connected to companies, suppliers are connected with distributors, and competitors are connected to each other. These connections are extremely important to build trust, encourage learning, promote your business, and promoting your entire industry.
- NEVER Stop Adding Value – Attracting new clients and keeping existing clients is all about the added value. I’m not talking about lowering prices; I’m talking about service. What do you do for your customers/clients that makes their experience with your company awesome? That’s value. It doesn’t have to cost you extra. Keep finding new ways to make the process easier, friendlier, more personal, and better for your customers.
- NEVER Stop Embracing Technology – New software, online marketing options, social media sites, printing processes, and other technology are becoming available at a pace that can be overwhelming. You don’t have to use all of the new technology…just the ones that the bulk of your client base are using. Stay ahead of the curve and watch the benefits it brings to you.
- NEVER Stop Putting Others First – Sometimes it seems the world is getting more selfish by the day. Someone putting you first is a welcome change and certainly a gesture you will remember. Put your clients first by looking them in the eye when speaking to them, focusing on just them when talking on the phone, listening at full attention, and being an advocate for them. Set your phone aside when you are in conversation with someone else. Put your clients first and you will develop loyalty.
- NEVER Stop Participating – You have options every day to attend industry trade shows, networking events, fundraisers, or conversations (online or offline). Participate as often as you can. Volunteer with local charities and industry associations. Engage with others and offer your assistance when needed.
- NEVER Stop Being Real – Be yourself in everything you do. Don’t act differently on your social media sites than you do in person. Be real. Your customers will respect you more for it. People want to do business with people, not with companies. Be yourself and you will make deeper connections with clients.
If you plan to heed the advice above, be ready for increased success and deeper relationships. This will transform you into a leader, or in many cases, a better leader. Good luck leading and transforming your industry into something even better than it is now!